Monday, March 24, 2008

truly, madly, java, art

Two things. More fun java info from my new job here at Terracotta. http://javathink.blogspot.com/2008/03/clustered-classloader.html

It's interesting stuff. Also, I am indeed showing my work at the Church St. Cafe this week, from yesterday until the end of the month, so check it out, and stop by my table/party on Thursday after 6 pm. This is the cafe between 15th and Market on Church. Used to be Muddys. I have six paintings and/or mixed media canvases on display. Here is the artist statement:

I have been painting and making visual art since 1989, and although I have shown my work in San Francisco and other places over the years, this is my first solo show in San Francisco. I am happy it is in this space where I have spent many hours and purchased many mochas over the last few years since I started living in SF.

These paintings and mixed-media works comprise three basic styles or periods. They blend or overlap somewhat, but there are differences. All were made in San Francisco, either in the Castro or the Mission, so they are all within the last two or three years. Some focus more on color, or layer, and certainly others have a more textured quality. I have always been fascinated by a sculptural texture in painting and the different techniques or materials to use in that. I love color also but sometimes, as in the unprimed canvas work, a more muted color or a darker, grittier urban feel. My recent work is more like chemical stains, a sortof accidental darker homage to Frankenthaler.

Conceptually I see my work engaged with language, the struggle with language, or its absence in the face of a visual existence. As a writer and novelist I have an interesting relationship with language that is very much in the truce stage now. This conversation goes more into theory of course and discussions about Lacan, Derrida, etc. Ultimately like Kenneth King, the chorographer/dancer, I am mainly interested in eyes, in looking, and in making things.

Thank you for looking.

Charles Keatts, SF, 2008

No comments:

About Me

My photo
super-knowledgeable good writer, thinker, maker. likes working with people on doable, successful projects.