Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Rashomon


Well I just watched Kurusawa's classic film Rashomon, and before I read or listen to any commentary I'm going to put my two cents in. I have read a bit about it so I know what at least some prevailing opinions are. The essence of the story, or stories, is that there are several different versions of a rape/murder told by various people who are involved or not involved. There is also the aspect of a court or tribunal and the judgement entailed. At first I thought the film was a reaction of a director who is tired of being judged or critiqued or expected to "tell the truth" with his art. And it may be partly that. On the other hand, you just have a story told several different ways from different perspectives, which is interesting enough on its own. There is also the theme of the priest and his belief in the essential goodness of man. I don't know the direct tie in to the multiple stories but he does find a way to continue his belief in spite of the lack of absolute truth, which I guess makes sense. A fascinating and scary and beautiful film.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
super-knowledgeable good writer, thinker, maker. likes working with people on doable, successful projects.